Tuesday, July 12, 2011

It's time!


Saturday we had a lovely party to send me off.  Despite the awful weather, a good amount of family and friends still made it out.  If you know the Chinnis family, we always have tons of delicious food. The sweet Virginia Watson brought all 75 of the precious Gullah dolls with her. Each one looks different just like the dresses. I am soooo excited to give these to the children! 


Packing has been a little less than interesting. I had a minor freak out today as I did my final packing. I have my two large bags with 50 lbs each and my book bag to carry-on. I used plenty of space bags to cram everything in. When I was finished packing, I was a good 11 lbs overweight in one bag with no room to spare in either bag. Trying to keep calm we reworked everything a few times and figured out that the four children's Bible's that were donated was like a total of about 10 lbs. I started thinking, "God, don't you want me to take your Word to these children?" I ended up working them out enough and putting them in my book bag...well that will be heavy but I should live, haha. That being said, we have all 80 dresses, 80 pairs of underwear, 75 dolls, tons of children's fever reducer, other miscellaneous things, and about half of my stuff. Please pray that all of the donations/luggage make it to Africa without problem.


Monday I had an interview with a reporter from the Post and Courier for the community section about my trip and the donations of dresses and dolls.  I pray that God receives the glory. 


My flight leaves from Charleston around 10:30am to Washington, D.C. tomorrow (Wednesday) and I will be hanging out at Dulles until more team members arrive about 3pm. If anyone is in the area and wants to grab lunch I would love the company.  :)  We fly out of Dulles at noon Thursday morning for a 13 hour flight. Please pray that we arrive safely. 


Side note, I found out that I passed the Praxis II and PLT today.  I am just so excited because the only thing between me and a job is a diploma. I can leave for Africa not having to think about that and can start my job hunt when I get back.  


"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name." Psalm 91:14

No comments:

Post a Comment